When producing a high-quality stainless steel fabrication, the finish is just as important as the care and precision taken during the cutting, welding and other aspects of the fabrication process.
Bead blasting is usually the last (or second-to-last if the fabrication is to be painted) part of the fabrication process and it is vital that it is carried out thoroughly and correctly, especially if the product is to be used in the food, beverage, medical or pharmaceutical industries, where it is critically important that all surfaces have a sanitary finish and are hygienic.
The five main benefits of bead blasting for stainless steel are:
- It provides a clean and consistent, streak-free finish, even on complex shaped fabrications.
- Ensures that the surfaces of the fabrication are free from lines, grooves, pits or divots which could encourage the growth of micro biological organisms.
- It removes any dirt and debris created during machining and processing operations such as grinding, drilling and milling.
- Removes any scale from the fabrication which has been deposited before or after any heat treatment processes, including welding.
- Provides a sound key for painting. This not only ensures that the paint can be applied with a consistent finish, the paint will also last longer than if it were to be applied to a surface that has not been bead blasted.
CH Barnett is able to provide a complete fabrication service from material processing through to cutting, bending and forming, onto welding, assembly and finishing (mirror, sateen or bead blast finish). We have a bead blasting capacity of up to 5 x 4 x 3 metres.
We specialise in industries such as pharmaceutical, medical, food and environmental, all of which require precise fabrications with a sanitary and hygienic finish. More information on bead blasting and the other stainless steel fabrication services we offer can be found by browsing our website.